The Greater Glens Falls Senior Citizens Center was formally opened in the Baptist Parsonage at 94 Maple Street on May 3, 1959. By the end of the first year of operation membership had reached 188. A move to the Augustus Sherman House in 1962 provided room for the expansion of programs. The Sherman House generously was transferred over to us by the First Presbyterian Church in May 2014 as we celebrated 55 years of Service to our Senior Community.
The Sherman House, a classic example of Italianate Victorian architecture, was once slated for demolition in a search for more parking. Through tireless efforts of former Board Member, Harold Wakefield, the building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977, preserving its beauty and history for all time.
A grant from the Glens Falls Community Development Agency turned the dark, outdated woodshop in the basement into a modern facility where both men and women can work on special projects.
Web Site Design & Hosting by Nolee-O Web Design